The Harvard Club of Washington is working with 9/11 Day to help recruit volunteers for a 9/11 Day of Service Meal Pack Event in Washington, DC at the DC Convention Center. The event is sponsored by 9/11 Day, AmeriCorps and Serve DC, and the meal packs benefit the Capital Area Food Bank.
You’re invited to participate! This year’s event will take place on Monday, September 11, with a goal to pack at least 250,000 meals for families in the DC community. It’s going to be a great, big day-of-service with on-site entertainment, guest emcees, and people from across the DMV, all working side by side with community and corporate volunteers.
Support staff volunteers are needed on Sept 11 from 7:30 am to 3 pm in a variety of roles, including table captains, check-in support, and food runners.
Volunteers will receive a light breakfast and packed lunch. T-shirts are also provided to all volunteers. It’s a fun and meaningful opportunity for everyone (must be 18-yrs and older to participate). Please indicate the names, email addresses, top three potential roles (below), and t-shirt sizes of everyone in your party.
- Table Captain – Assembly line leaders, responsible for training teams of meal packers, keeping energy levels high, and troubleshooting throughout shifts.
- Heavy Lifter – Unload meal ingredients from their bags/cases/cartons and keep a continual supply in the tubs on the packaging line. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Runner – Oversee packing process across multiple lines to ensure efficiency (e.g. not too much air in bags, etc.), carry completed boxes to pallets. Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Registration/Check-in – Support and ensure a smooth general volunteer check-in process.
- Directional Support – Serve as a ‘human arrow’ – ensuring that volunteers know where to go.
- Hospitality – Support green room and/or Staff Training room, ensuring that snacks/drinks are restocked, etc.